Parish History

Parish History

A History of Saint Jude Parish in Bossier City, LA and Mary, Queen of Heaven Chapel in Benton, LA

In 1959, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Cascio donated twenty-five acres of land to the Catholic Diocese of Alexandria-Shreveport in North Bossier parish. On June 11, 1964, Bishop Charles Paschal Greco formally erected Saint Jude as a parish church. At that time, Saint Jude was 142 families strong. Reverend Charles Glorioso was appointed pastor. At the founding of the parish, Masses and other liturgical services were held at Rose-Neath Funeral Home through the generosity of Mrs. Nellie Kilpatrick. Our present parish hall is named in her honor.

On the Solemn Feast of our holy patron, Saint Jude, October 28, 1969, the church structure and physical plant were underway, cornerstone was laid on May 20, 1970, and the sanctuary dedicated for worship to the glory of God in 1971. The contemporary church and grounds was designed in accord with the liturgical renewal of the Second Vatican Council. Architects Weiner, Neil, Morgan, o’Neal, and Sutton of Shreveport received the Louisiana Architects Association Award in 1979 in recognition of its unique quality.

On May 6, 1971, Father Charles Glorioso died suddenly after the dedication of the church. His “Last Will and Testament” are on a plaque in the foyer. Pastors Gerald Bordelon, Ronald Hoppe, Philip Michiels, Richard Norsworthy and Rothell Price have guided our church through the years. Our current pastor, Father Pike Thomas, continues the pastoral care of the Saint Jude family, assisted by Deacons Larry Mills and Homer Tucker. The parish now is the second-largest in the Diocese of Shreveport, with almost 1200 families on the rolls. The parish is known for its hospitality and outreach to those in need, and for its celebratory style in worship. Please come and worship with us at our parish church and join in the many opportunities for ministry.

Mary Queen of Heaven Chapel

Catholics in the Benton area were originally served by Holy Trinity Church in Shreveport. In 1939, Christ the King Parish was carved from Holy Trinity to include all of Bossier Civil Parish. Father Morel, assistant priest at Christ the King, began celebrating Mass in the Benton area in 1957 and the lovely, brick chapel with the spectacular vaulted wood ceiling was completed in November of 1958. With the establishment of Saint Jude Parish in 1964, the mission was transferred to the care of this new parish in North Bossier City.

Currently, Mass is held at Mary, Queen of Heaven Chapel on the First Sunday of each month at 7:30 a.m. A popular brunch follows immediately following. Other social and spiritual gatherings are held regularly for those who reside in Benton and surrounding towns.